Let our knowledgeable probate lawyers support your family through the probate process
The passing of a loved one can bring a lot of stress and confusion to your life. Going through probate should not be another cause of worry in this difficult time.
At the Law Office of Ralph W. Powers, Jr. P.C., we can help you make sense of the probate process and will fight to protect your best interests throughout.
Call us today to learn more about our legal services and talk to a probate lawyer serving Bowie, MD.
What Is Probate?
Probate is the process of distributing a deceased person’s estate. An estate includes any property, finances, and other assets the person may have left.
If the deceased has a will, it usually names a personal representative or executor to manage the process and has provisions for the transfer of the assets. In the absence of a will, the court appoints an executor and distributes the assets according to the laws of intestate succession.
What to Expect from the Maryland Probate Process
First, the executor files a petition with the court to open the estate. Once they receive court authorization to manage the probate, they must:
- Create an inventory of all assets
- Notify all stakeholders (heirs, beneficiaries, creditors, and other interested parties) of the probate
- Open a bank account and obtain a tax ID number for the estate
- Pay all applicable fees and taxes
- Settle any creditor claims against the estate
- Transfer the remaining assets to the heirs or beneficiaries
- File a final account with the court
The whole process usually takes ten months on average. However, large estates and more complicated cases, such as when an interested party contests the will or the choice of executor, could take years.
How Much Does Probate Cost?
The bigger the estate, the more expensive the probate.
The Advantages of Hiring a Probate Lawyer in Maryland
You should contact a local probate lawyer serving Bowie, MD, as soon as you learn that probate might be in the works. Our experienced probate attorneys at the Law Office of Ralph W. Powers, Jr. P.C.can:
- Prepare and file legal documents on your behalf
- Ensure that you follow all rules and meet all deadlines
- Prevent errors that could cause losses for the estate and give rise to liability
- Try to minimize some of the time and costs
- Ease tension between heirs and/or beneficiaries
- Work toward a favorable outcome for you and your family
- Free up some much-needed time for you to focus on other pressing issues
Talk to a Probate Lawyer Serving Bowie, MD
At the Law Office of Ralph W. Powers, Jr. P.C., we have been assisting Bowie residents with their probate and estate planning needs for over four decades.
We can also advise you on various other legal matters, including criminal defense and business transactions.
Call us at 301-627-1000 to speak to a probate lawyer serving Bowie, MD, and explore your legal options.